Friday, March 23, 2012

#ThingsUglyPeopleShouldntHave

I joined Twitter around the same time I started this blog, in the hopes of connecting with other people who are trying to make the same life changes as I am. Today, the first day that I've taken to really explore the site, what is the top trend around the world?


Things Ugly People Shouldn't Have


I'm disgusted by this. It's hard to take it as a joke, with such winning tweets as:


         "The right to be picky about what they like in a person. Just be happy if someone wants to be with you UGLY."


         "Accounts on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Tumblr or any other social network where their face can be seen."


        "BABIES"


and


        "any type of moles or scars that draw more attention to they face.!! Lol"




And it shouldn't be a joke. If you're able to joke about something, that makes it ok, and it is certainly not ok to make someone feel bad about their looks. Ugly. Fat. It's so easy for a person to believe only the worst thing that is said about them.


I think I've been called everything in the ugly/fat category growing up. I've probably even been called worse than I know, it tjust wasn't said to my face. And I'll tell you, it's even easier to turn it around to someone else. Deflection is the simplest defense mechanism. Yes, I've called someone ugly, and even fat, the word that personally hurt me even worse. But that's honestly the worse thing to do, because it's a domino effect. I was bullied, so in turn I bullied, and the person I bullied could've turned to bullying, and so on.


And you can apologize but you can never take it back.


My personal response (and my first tweet of my own) to this trend:


    -Cruelty. And I'm talking of course only of people who are ugly on the inside.


But now that it's been about an hour since I saw the topic trending, I'm happy to see that people are having the same reaction as I am. The top three tweets are putting the topic down, and the top tweet proposes to start trending #EveryoneIsBeautiful.


If we have to see some hate in the world, at least we can also see the love.

No comments:

Post a Comment